WHY is emotionally intelligent discipline is the way to go?
Our long-term goals are where we need to focus our attention. To teach our children to handle their own emotions and frustrations.
It’s all in the HOW we teach them.
Old school parenting denies our kids the time to process their emotions and demand short-term compliance in its place.
Learning cannot happen under stress or fear.
Yes! Threats and punishments might get her to leave the playdate reluctantly. However, I would not be teaching her the emotional intelligence she needs to better handle her own emotions and frustrations.
Here are my top 5 reasons why emotionally intelligent discipline is something we need to be focusing on.
- Kids can talk about and communicate their emotions
- Regulate their behaviour in response to their emotions.
- Form healthy intimate relationships in adult life.
- Have better health and mood functionality.
- Better academic performance.
Now! isn’t that what we want for our kids as they grow into fully functioning adults?!
It’s all in HOW we go about it that brings long-lasting change.